Thursday, September 6, 2007

Trying to re-enter society

First mission is to : Get Out !!
That is the easy part. After walking out the gates i am certain things will be easier. I was completely wrong. It starts with getting drivers licenses , social security cards , and any other form of identification. I going from office to office only to be told i needed my license to get a ss card , and a birth certificate or "other " form of ID to get a license . I could not drive myself to any of thses offices because i could not get a license ..ect.. so my mother had to take off work numerous times to drive me around. In circles . Finally , i am the next one in line at the DMV !!But wait there is one last hoop to jump through . Due to my offense i have to obtain a special insurance before i can get my license . SR22 insurance is more expensive that regular insurance and to top that off i have to pay 100.00 fee for my license . Once again my mother comes to the rescue . After 2 weeks of gathering ID 's i am ready to find a job.
Unlike most convicted felons i did find a job quickly . Not just any job , a Government job! After less than a month of searching i was hired by FEMA . I could not understand why or how i could work for FEMA when Burger King would'nt even hire me. For 2 years i did any and everything i could to prove that i was an excellent employee . Then it happens .... a "deeper" FBI background check had to be done on all employees . After 4 months of sending the documents FEMA requested , making countless calls and just praying i get the dreaded letter. I am unsuitable for employment. I was crushed, but i thought ok i will get another job while i appeal FEMA's decision. Well it has been 15 months since that day .I do have a job now . It barely pays me what i spend in gas to get to work. Don't get me wrong i am thankful for this job. My boss is nice and she does not hold my past against me. but it is part time ,
commission only , telemarketing . So i have searched for jobs everywhere , newspapers, online, and through my friends and family. Yes i get lots of call back even interviews.But the second a potential employer finds out i have a felony the door slams shut. I continue to look for a better job . Thats how i started this blog. In the coming days i will post all i have learned from getting bonded for free, tax breaks an employer can get for hiring a convicted felon and lots more . If you have any thing that is helpful for other job seekers with records please post a comment.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have taken this bonding info in at tons of jobs and they just laugh , i to am a convicted felon and cant find any decent job i can retire at

Figaro said...

You know it is getting that the United States do not believe in people rehabilitation. Not even rehabilitation organizations.
I could understand that if I was a bank robber, maybe I shoudn't work at a back or if a baby funder, not work at a kinderganden. But this desicions not to hire are alltimately arbitrary. They have no idead what one has to go to life...... And I hope they don't step on the wrong side because almost anyone can get a felony conviction. I did not use to think so, until I got it.... I think that we should all go through this experience. Even employers.

Unknown said...

I found that just because I'm bondable doesn't mean anything no employer have I found can hire me if there insurance carrier says no. Insurance companies are now dictating policy and threaten thier clients if they hire someone who cannot pass a background check. they will not pay any claim even if the person in question is not involved.

scotty

Unknown said...

well i have a pending felony charge, and will be placed on a deffered judification probation, which means after a year or so my charges will be dismissed all together. but what i can't seem to understand is how does the court expect you to make the payments each month for the probation with no job. i have no one to help me with my problem, and all i want is to earn a proper living while also still providing for my daughter. society acts as though a person can't change for the better. im enrolled in college due to my nature of problems. i plan to soon start my own business, so that way no one can tell me your background didn't come thru. plus i can become as successful as i want to become.

Colorsmith said...

I think the only thing a felon can do around here is become an illegal alien. ...Seriously, they make it seem so easy...fake name and SS card, they have a job.

TheGoldenMonkey said...

Hello, my name is Joshua and we started a non-profit to assist and advocate for felons and their dependents.

We are based out of Fairbanks, Alaska, but our intent is to expand throughout America.

There are more than 15 million felons in our country. If only 7% join we will have more than 1 million members!

If 25% join, and some of our family and friends, we could surpass 10 million members with ease.

Please email:
BrothersGrin2013@yahoo.com
for more info or to join.

Individually our voices have been taken from us, but together we would have one of the largest organizations in the world.

Please join Felons, Family and Friends by emailing:

BrothersGrin2013@yahoo.com.

We can make a difference if we are united!

Our website will be live in April, 2013, and our first programs will go into effect shortly after that. We need members to get funding and be loud enough to be heard. Join us!

Thankyou,

Joshua Mesch
Director
The Brothers Grin
Felons, Family and Friends
Alaska

TheGoldenMonkey said...

Hello, my name is Joshua and we started a non-profit to assist and advocate for felons and their dependents.

We are based out of Fairbanks, Alaska, but our intent is to expand throughout America.

There are more than 15 million felons in our country. If only 7% join we will have more than 1 million members!

If 25% join, and some of our family and friends, we could surpass 10 million members with ease.

Please email:
BrothersGrin2013@yahoo.com
for more info or to join.

Individually our voices have been taken from us, but together we would have one of the largest organizations in the world.

Please join Felons, Family and Friends by emailing:

BrothersGrin2013@yahoo.com.

We can make a difference if we are united!

Our website will be live in April, 2013, and our first programs will go into effect shortly after that. We need members to get funding and be loud enough to be heard. Join us!

Thankyou,

Joshua Mesch
Director
The Brothers Grin
Felons, Family and Friends
Alaska

Google